A+
Beta

Nelsons introduced as new music director of Boston Symphony Orchestra with public fanfare

02.07.2013
 | LETA

With a public fanfare, Andris Nelsons was introduced as the 15th music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra in a series of events throughout the city earlier this week.

On Tuesday, Nelsons signed his contract with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, newspaper "Metro West Daily News" reports.

Tuesday was proclaimed Andris Nelsons Day in Boston, and a series of events was staged in the city to mark his arrival.

"I'm living half in a dream," Nelsons said. "I knew the Boston Symphony Orchestra from recordings, and from reading about that orchestra, but I never thought when I was growing up in Latvia that one day I would conduct this orchestra."

Asked about the orchestra's future, his ideas about repertory and touring, Nelsons said, "It may be part of my naivete, but I am part of the team," he said. "If the musicians are terrorized by a conductor, the result is not honest or sincere. I believe that the conductor and the musicians have to have trust. More philosophically, there really is no democracy in music. We are led and dictated to by the composer, and we have to be honest to the material that is written."

Touring might be a priority under the new leader. "If you drive a "Ferrari", you want the world to see it," Nelsons said.

Nelsons officially takes over as music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra in September. His first appearance as director will be October 17, conducting a program of Wagner, Mozart and Brahms. He will also conduct the Verdi "Requiem" on July 27.

As reported, the Boston Symphony Orchestra has lingered without a leader since 2011, when James Levine resigned the position.

The 34-year-old Nelsons is the orchestra's youngest conductor in over a hundred years.

Nelsons had been working as the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra since 2008.