You are here
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Center Q Latvia icon
A multi-functional contemporary art and culture center located in the Arsenal building of the Daugavpils Fortress where history goes hand in hand with contemporary art, creating a unique and inspiring place for creative expression and experience.
The art center displays exhibitions of Latvian and foreign artists in diverse media – painting, graphics, textile, ceramics, photography – as well as cultural and historical expositions.
This is the only place in Eastern Europe where you can view the original works of Mark Rothko, world-known as the founder of abstract expressionism.
In the art center:
- see a digital exposition about Daugavpils in the early 20th century;
- see permanent exhibition of Mark Rothko’s original works and reproductions;
- see works of famed Latvian, European and world contemporary artists and exhibitions dedicated to key local figures;
- go on a guided tour of the center and the Daugavpils Fortress;
- take active part in workshops and master classes;
- children and youth are invited to take part in art education programs.
Development of the art center
The idea and the collection was born in 2002 when organization of Mark Rothko’s 100th anniversary program began. Initially the collection was based on the works made during Daugavpils international plein air event "Mark Rothko". The collection then was accompanied by works presented by local Latvian artists whose work is known internationally.
International symposium and art residence program promotes attraction of professional contemporary artists and ensures that the collection is supplemented with high-quality works of art. Since opening of the Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Center in 2013, its collection is constantly growing.
Mark Rothko Art Center is located in Daugavpils Fortress – the only fortress of the first half of the 19th century in Eastern Europe that has remained almost unchanged until today and is a symbol of Daugavpils city.