You are here
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre
Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre - multi-functional contemporary art and culture temple in Daugavpils Fortress where history goes hand in hand with contemporary art and creates a unique and inspiring place for creative expression and experience. The only place in Eastern Europe where you have an opportunity to get acquainted with the original works of Mark Rothko, exhibitions by Latvian and foreign artists.
Mark Rothko (1903-1970) the monumental figure of the 20th century art was born in Daugavpils, Latvia (then Dvinsk, Russia). Mark Rothko is one of the central figures of the second part of the 20th century, founder of abstract expressionism and color field painting.
Mark Rothko. Life and Art.
- Hall of Mark Rothko’s original paintings;
- Digital exposition about Rothko’s life and art periods;
- Rothko Research Hall (temporary exhibition);
- Video Hall;
- Silence Room;
In Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre are displayed well-known Latvian and foreign artists’ exhibitions, created in different artistic media - painting, photography, graphic, textile and ceramic art, etc.
, as well as historical and cultural expositions. Throughout the year, there are 5 major exhibition season openings, showing best regional, Latvian and foreign art projects.
- to see permanent and temporary exhibitions in the area of more than 2000 m²;
- guided tours in Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre and Daugavpils Fortress;
- children and youth educational programs;
- workshops and master classes (with and without preliminary knowledge);
- Residence Programs for artists;
- rooms for conferences, seminars and other events;
- Chamber Hall with excellent acoustics (100 seats);
- accommodation in the residence (14 beds).
Souvenir shop and cafe "Arsenal" are located in the Art Centre premises.