You are here
Dairy Museum and Milk Manor – Berghof
The Milk Manor complex houses the only dairy museum in Latvia – a real museum about real milk for both big and small.
The museum was opened in 2007 and offers to remember, understand, feel and enjoy – what milk is, where it comes from, and how it is treated before it gets to our table. Everything about milk - from the cow’s teat to a glass bottle or carton!
Tours around the Dairy Museum
Live the Milk Story!
- Get acquainted with the history of the dairy industry Latvia,
- View the equipment used in dairy farms,
- Understand the cream and butter making process,
- View the museum’s exhibits
Take active part in the tour - Milk Way!
- Get acquainted with the extensive exhibition,
- Watch a 25-minute film about the dairy industry,
- Roll up your sleeves and milk a cow,
- Separate cream and whip butter
Didactic cow and calf
The speaking wooden cow Venta and calf Druvis, made especially for the Dairy Museum, live in the museum and will tell you where milk comes from.
The Dairy Museum welcomes all - families with children, groups of travelers and individuals. The museum offers 250 exhibits that have come from different locations, collective farms, and given as presents by dairy farms and individuals. One of the most valuable exhibits is a present given by the British Queen to Latvian dairy farmers for the best export butter in the 1930s, and a butter box.
There are few things in the world so unpretentious and simple yet at the same time as absolute and valued as milk. Milks is a symbol of strength, health and wealth. It throws us back to nature and leads us to genuine and real values. That is why here, at Milk Manor Berghof, we always keep milk in a high position reminding about its values at every thought, deed or attitude.
In the Milk Manor you can
- Spend a night at the Manor House, Dairy Museum House, the Lux Suite of Baron forn Medem, Weekend House with rural sauna or a camp site,
- Enjoy the local and other cuisine in the Rose Tavern
- Heat up in a sauna, relax in a milk bath or enjoy Milk SPA procedures
- Play tennis, mini football, volleyball, basketball, handball, badminton and floorball,
- Mark your special day in halls of the manor,
- Organize business events in the conference hall
History of the Manor
The history of Berghof Manor started in the 16th century, and in the 19th century it associated with Baron von Medem who developed the manor as his summer and hunting residence. In the 1920s, the manor was taken away from descendants of von Medem as a result of rural reforms, and it was renamed Kalnamuiza. For some time, it was used as a school, later as a recreation and training center of the Liepaja Dairy Plant. The manor has seen several fires and been vandalized. In the beginning of the new Millenium it was renovated, renamed the Milk Manor and opened for tourists.