You are here
Even though Latvia is not a land of mountains, skiing is a popular wintertime activity. Latvia’s terrain is generally suitable for cross-country skiing, but there are also ski slopes in every Latvian district for downhill skiing and snowboarding.
Winter usually appears in Latvia in mid-December. As the air temperature falls to 0 degrees Celsius, artificial snow is sprayed on ski slopes. If the winter is warm, ski resorts keep close track of weather forecasts to be ready for frost.
Downhill skiing in Latvian regions
There are also downhill ski slopes in every Latvian region - well-equipped and most with ski lifts. They also offer skiing equipment for rental, and advice of ski instructors.
Downhill ski slopes in Vidzeme:
- Zagarkalns – one of the most popular ski resorts in Latvia, located in Cesis by the Gauja River
- Ozolkalns – is proud of the longest downhill ski track in Latvia
- Leisure park "Rāmkalni" – perfect for winter sports enthusiasts, who appreciate exciting descents and beautiful nature
- Sigulda City Track – the largest and youngest mountain in Latvian, which gathers vigorous winter sports fans together
- Gaizinkalns – Latvia’s highest peak with several well-equipped ski and snowboard slopes
Downhill ski slopes in Kurzeme:
- Milzkalns – one of the most popular places of wintertime activities in Latvia, located in Engure district
- Lemberga hute - an artificially made 50-meter high hill in Ventspils
Downhill ski slopes in Zemgale:
- Riekstu kalns – it is located close to Riga and offers wide range of trails.
- Mežezers – a ski slope near Tukums
When staying in Riga, cross-country skiing is easily accessible. One does not have to venture far from the capital - a groomed cross-country track is available across the river in Victory Park.
Sigulda is also close to the Latvian capital for long distances in pristine natural surroundings.
Cross-country skiing is special in Jurmala where one can enjoy wonderful landscape of frozen waters in cold winters.
In Aluksne, it is possible to indulge in healthy and exciting skiing in the winter sports center "Mežinieki". The slopes challenge small and large skiers to actively spend their holidays in nature. This is also a home track for one of the best European biathletes - Andrejs Rastorgujevs, so drive to Alūksne and test your endurance on natural snow tracks!