You are here
COVID-19 and travelling to Latvia
The Latvian government has declared a state of emergency in order to limit the spread of the COVID-19 i.e. coronavirus epidemic. The situation means special measures, some of which also affect tourism in Latvia.
- State of emergency in Latvia is extended until June 9, but restrictions are eased. After May 12, people will be allowed to gather indoors and outdoors for both public and private events (still ensuring 2 meters distancing), but their number should not exceed 25. Indoor events should not last longer than three hours, while there are no limits for outdoor events.
- Baltic states of Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania agreed to open their mutual borders to each other from May 15 and resume air, sea, bus and rail transport between countries.
People arriving from Estonia and Lithuania to Latvia will not have to stay in isolation for 14 days.
- You can cross Latvian-Estonian border at all border crossing points. You can cross Latvian-Lithuanian border at border crossings Rucava–Būtiņģe, Grenctāle–Saločai, Medumi–Smeline un Meitene–Kalviai. Please, follow the official information.
- Also it is decided to allow to organize tourism services for trips within the Baltic states - Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.
- People using public transport in Latvia will be required to cover their mouth and nose (with mask or scarf). This includes international flights, buses etc.
- Culture, entertainment, sports and other facilities will be allowed to be open from 7 a.m. until midnight. People still must observe a distance of two-by-two meters (applies to both public indoor and public outdoor spaces). Please, follow information published by providers.
- As the situation in the world develops daily, the Latvian authorities monitor the situation and share their information with the World Health Organization (WHO).
- In general, the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Latvia reminds all travelers that taking care of good hygiene – e.g. careful washing of hands and using hand disinfectants - is a reasonable use of common sense. If you have any questions regarding the novel coronavirus and COVID-19 and your travels, please call Latvian Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (SPKC) helpline (00 371) 67501590 or (00 371) 67387661 (open 8.30-17.00 working days). In case of emergency call 113.
In order to curb the Covid-19 pandemic, the state of emergency in Latvia was declared for a time period of March 13 until April 14. Then it was extended to May 12 and now until June 9.